Racing in Birmingham, AL

Author
Bluemaxx
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 465
  • Reward points : 0

Racing in Birmingham, AL

Ok People, since you all have never steered me wrong in the past I need your help again. This time in Birmingham, AL. On November 19-20, my race team and I (5-6 people total) will be racing at Barber Motorsports Park (http://www.BarberMotorsports.com) in Leeds, just east of Bham, AL.

After doing a thorough search on Bham restaurants here in past forums, I came up with a few choice places to eat. Problem is that we don't have the time to eat at all of them. This is where you come in. Please let me and my race team know where we should spend our time. In other words, where would you go during this time?

Here is when we have time for your suggestions:

Thursday Dinner
Friday Breakfast
Friday Lunch
Friday Dinner
Saturday Dinner
Sunday Dinner

Again, if you were planning a trip to Bham, or you live there and know where we should spend our time, please let us know. If we can pull out the win, and I think we probably will, I will be sure to mention each and every one of you on our website, [url]www.BluemaxxRacing.com[/url]

Thanks so much!

9 Replies Related Threads

Sundancer7
    Administrator
    • Total Posts : 12753
    RE: Racing in Birmingham, AL (permalink)
    Blue Maxx: just for your. I think others on this forum would agree that Dreamland is super. Great ribs. Lleechef has enjoyed this as well as myself. I have attached a site that should get you going.

I am racing myself in Las Vegas this weekend. We have a great NHRA competition going on. I have two cars in the race. Quite frankly I do not know how we will do. I am sure that will will not have a BBQ like Dreamland to enjoy. I attached the site with directions. You can journey through the site to get more info. All their BBQ is good.

http://www.dreamlandbbq.com/birmingham/

Looking forward to seeing my name.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    BhamBabe
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 879
    I live about 10 mins from Leeds, my boys just went to the Barber Motorsports Park. It's a nice place.

Now on to food. And remember, these are my choices..and they are all over the board lol

Personally, I'm not fond of Dreamland. Went to school in Tuscaloosa and ate at the original only when my friends forced me. Ribs are all bones and no meat.

For a bbq treat, I go to Golden Rule BBQ in Irondale. It's about 10 mins or so from Leeds.

2504 Crestwood Blvd
    Birmingham, AL 35210-2043
    Phone: (205) 956-2678

For atmosphere I go downtown on the Southside to Highlands Bar and Grill. Many, many choices, from braised rabbit to fried green tomatoes. Not to mention the great seafood.

Still just a hop, skip and jump from Leeds.

http://www.highlandsbarandgrill.com/index.html

If you're looking for a meat and three with some historic value thrown in, The Whistle Stop Cafe is about 10 mins from Leeds. LOTS to choose from and really friendly folks.

http://www.irondalecafe.com/

For Breakfast, Bough's on Clairmont.

3028 Clairmont Ave.
    254-9780
    Breakfast and lunch Mon.-Fri.
    breakfast Sat.-Sun.

If you are looking for lite fair, this aint it...creamy grits, bacon, pancakes kinda fare.

If it's European you like and you don't mind the drive...about 30 mins give or take, then Klinger's European Bakery is THE best around. With real black forest ham, fluffy belgian waffles and smoked bratwurst with scrambled eggs, it's sinful!

And then there is Ted's. Sorta like a greasy spoon, it's been around forever! Basic fare, with some surprises thrown in for some kicks. Their strawberry cream pie is sooo yummy, as is their cornbread.

http://www.birminghammenus.com/teds/

And finally, a place I just tried this past week. Los Angeles. They called it Nuevo Latino and it was GREAT!

I had Crabmeat Monfogo Deep fried plantain dough mixed with jumbo lump crab served with three sauces is how the menu decribed it. Crusty on the outside, melt in your mouth velvet on the inside. All of the sauces were good but based on the hot slider, it was burn your tongue, hotter than hades, and WHO eats this it's so hot. Other than my poor tongue burning off, delish!! I'm going back soon!

http://www.birminghammenus.com/losangeles/

Hmmm do I sound like a travel brochure? lol At any rate, I hope you enjoy your visit here. Be sure to visit the Water Fountain in southside by the sculptor Frank Fleming and hide your eyes from the nakey bum of Vulcan :-) BTW, free wifi at the Vulcan Park and it's just been reopened since restoration.

If you prefer other types of foods, let me know. I've eaten at most of them and can certainly let ya know about some more place. As you have prolly found out, food is not just a hobby here in Bama we mean it!

Dena
    BhamBabe
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 879
    quote:
    Originally posted by BhamBabe

If it's European you like and you don't mind the drive...about 30 mins give or take, then Klinger's European Bakery is THE best around. With real black forest ham, fluffy belgian waffles and smoked bratwurst with scrambled eggs, it's sinful!

Just noticed I forgot the url. So sorry!

http://www.birminghammenus.com/klinglers/

Bluemaxx
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 465
    Paul and Dena...WOW, I learned so much in two posts alone. Paul - GOOD LUCK in Vegas! When you get a chance, send me some info on your drag racers. I would love to know more about them. Also, let me know where you choose to eat while in Vegas. I am planning a trip for a convention in February and need lots of good suggestions, especially from the person I consider to be the "Top Guy" here at Roadfood! :)

Dena - Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a long post. It is super nice to see someone know the area where Barber is located and even better to suggest places that are a short drive from us. I can't wait to put together a schedule of places to visit and I will DEFINITELY make a stop at a few of your suggestions!

Anyone else out there??
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2899
    There's a place in Irondale called Hamburger Heaven that used to serve great burgers and malts. It's been awhile, but I think it'd be worth a stop.

Also, downtown there was a place called John's that served good meals. I remember they had a signature slaw that was served dry with a french-style dressing on the side. Pretty good once you got used to it! In fact, taking a cue from BhamBabe, I went to that website and found a link: http://www.birminghammenus.com/johns/

Have fun, and good luck with the race!
    Cosmos
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1421
    Rich, and Erinn, When I'm not slogging away in an architect's office you can find me waving flags at Watkins Glen. I work F&C for both SCCA and RSI, just finished my last event of the season...freezing my butt off at a regional race.

I haven't been fortunate enough to stray down to Barber, but it looks like a gorgeous track. I hope you find some good road food.

Should you ever make it up my way, I'll let you in on some great eats in Central New York.

Race Safe!
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6703
    I was in Birmingham back in April
    Don't go to the Irondale Cafe. The food was barely lukewarm, greasy and looked like it was sitting around a while. It was the most dissapointing meal on my trip.

Dreamland was beyond phenomenal. The best ribs ever, however I went to the Tuscaloosa location, I can't tell you about the Birmingham location.

Another good place was the fish market www.birminghammenus.com/thefishmarket/

I had the local specialty, West Indies Salad which is marinated crab meat. That was good. The deviled crabs were so so, however I understand that everyone come for the grilled fish.
    lleechef
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4932
    Dreamland! Dreamland! Dreamland! After we devoured our ribs and fixin's the waitress said, "All we got for dessert is banana pudding." To which we said, "bring us another rack of ribs for dessert." Ribs to die for. Also another good one is Jim 'n Nicks, just outside of the city. We ate at the one at 220 Oxmoore Rd. and their ribs were fabulous also.
    Sundancer7
    Administrator
    • Total Posts : 12753
    Blue Maxx. Even though Dreamland is the same, it is different. The location in Tuscaloosa is the original and is all smoke and the rest of them I believe are grilled. I personally prefer the BBQ on the grill better than i do the smoked but that is personal. Their grills are huge I saw them put on at least a hundred pounds of ribs at one time at the location in Mobile.

Lleechef is correct. Their ribs are very good.

I am off to Vegas at 6:20Am for a week end of racing.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Invalid Version 4.2